Project Manager I (Surveying)
Back to careers
Under the direct supervision of a Registered Professional Land Surveyor (unless already licensed), performs surveying duties and comprehensive project management for numerous land surveying projects of low to medium complexity while effectively leading and promoting a limited number of assigned technical personnel.
Essential Duties / Responsibilties
- Successfully manages numerous surveying projects of low to medium complexity.
- Uses good time management methods and habits to meet schedule requirements.
- Uses developed organizational skills to deliver projects efficiently and thoroughly.
- Effectively uses current computer aided design and production software to maximize efficiency of project delivery.
- Takes proactive role to enhance the professional development of assigned personnel.
- Creates and maintains a positive environment and team approach for all assignments.
- Actively performs other tasks as assigned, or as individually identified, to benefit the overall company efficiency and work environment.
- Protects the well being of the client, staff and the company at all times.
- Maintains effective communications with clients, other design consultants, regulatory agencies, Internal Engineering Department (re: schedules, deliverables and billings) and other appropriate parties, both verbal and written.
- Coordinates with internal clients / Principal / Associate Principal / Internal Survey Department to develop fee proposals including scope of work, compensation, and schedule for small and medium projects.
- Performs all project billing, collections and job cost analysis to maximize project profitability while maintaining quality of project deliverables.
- May be tasked to represent the survey department on organizational technical committees and report back to Department leaders, as needed.
- Effectively manages up to three (3) assigned technical personnel including:
– Assigns and oversees project assignments;
– Reviews work for accuracy and completeness;
– Promotes professional development;
– Maintains job satisfaction and morale;
– Assists with performance evaluations; and
– Recommends compensation adjustments and/or promotions.
Minimum Experience/Skill Requirements
- Demonstrates competence in all areas of land surveying, both basic and moderate.
- Able to develop scopes of work and project schedules to prepare complete surveying fee proposals.
- Has basic understanding of liability as it relates to land surveying and other issues affecting the individual and the company.
- Demonstrates proficiency with current computer aided survey and production software and ability to learn new versions of technology.
- Proven ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients.
- Able to effectively and professionally represent the firm, client and/or design team in public or group settings.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience as a Survey Intern (or equivalent).
Minimum Registration/Education Requirements
- Certified Surveyor-in-Training or Registered Professional Land Surveyor by the Texas State Board of Professional Land Surveying.
- Graduate from an accredited university or college with a Bachelor’s Degree in Land Surveying (experience or degrees in other disciplines may be substituted at Management’s discretion).